Thursday, June 24, 2010

Grateful

We are fast approaching the 2nd anniversary of mama's passing (September). However, July 3rd markes a day that will live with me forever - the day she told us she was basically dying of cancer. This time of year always conjures up bittersweet memories of her - me sitting outside with her on the swing in the heat of Summer talking about life - what has happened and what lay ahead.

However, instead of dwelling on my sadness, I thought I'd think about all she was able to do with me. I know for some, knowing their mama is something they were not blessed to do in life. Many never get to meet their moms or lose them too young to ever remember or build memories. While my mama left me WAY to early, she was able to see me through 28 very important years of my life. I am sad she is not with me now, but am so very grateful for the time we had together. My greatest prayer is that I'm able to see my Emily through her many life milestones and watch her grow into a woman.

My mama…
  • Watched me take my 1st steps
  • Gave me the gift of a baby sister
  • Saw me get my braces on and 5 long years later, taken off
  • Took me on lots of vacations to the beach
  • Visited the mountains of Colorado and Tennessee
  • Shared in her two little girls' excitement at Christmas time
  • Took me to get my ears pierced (twice)
  • Spent hours watching me take dance lessons
  • Broke her wrist because of me - so she claimed.
  • Took me to school for the very 1st time
  • Watched me win my 1st dance competition - and cried. =)
  • traveled to Disney with us - A LOT
  • Helped me with my homework
  • Took me to my first movie - The Care Bears Movie =)
  • Tried to teach me how to cook - I wasn't very into learning, which I regret now.
  • Taught us to always be a friend - "If you see someone sitting alone at the lunch table, go sit with them - it could be you sitting alone some day." =)
  • Instilled in us good morals and values.
  • Taught me to love and respect animals - they are God's little creatures.
  • Cuddled with me in the bed - right up until I left home at 24! =)
  • Had trouble adjusting to me dating. =)
  • Left messages on my cell phone that started out, "Hey Baby, it's Mama."
  • Bought my 1st bra.
  • Took us on lots of shopping trips
  • Taught Lisa and I to always be there for each other
  • Dropped me off at my 1st slumber party
  • Taught us to "ask God to get you through it."
  • Bought my 1st car
  • Taught me about the birds and the bees =)
  • Worried about me when I would drive in the rain - or drive anywhere period.
  • Hated when my sister and I to traveled anywhere together without her - what if I lost both of you?!
  • Freaked out when she saw an ambulance - always thought it was headed for one of us!
  • Taught me the value of money.
  • Helped me pick out prom dresses
  • Saw me graduate from high school
  • Watched me grow into a woman
  • Helped me pick out a wedding dress
  • Helped plan my wedding
  • Gave me my wedding china
  • Watched me get married
  • Saw me graduate from college and graduate school
  • Saw me get my 1st job
  • Met my husband/father of my child and loved him
  • Helped pick out the décor for my 1st house
  • Told me, someday you'll understand a mother's love
  • Loved my dogs, Gracie and Harlee
  • Talked me into the best purchase I've ever made - my Harlee.
  • Displayed INCREDIBLE strength
  • Helped us say Good Bye to her

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. I know you can smile when you think of your mom. She sounds like one great lady!

    ReplyDelete